Pretty and Witty and Fey

Just my pursuit of all the pretty things.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Magazines


I love fall magazines. I get a rush when I go to the mailbox and see a pile of magazines just waiting for me. Martha Stewart Living October is always eagerly anticipated for the halloween fun alone. I was asked about my magazine addiction recently and it did get me to thinking! Since I can remember, I have always had a love for magazines. I have always loved books too, but magazines make me pant! I think it is the condensed nature of magazines that appeals to me. I can pick them up and put them down without fear of losing the plot! I can see that perfect photograph and it inspires me to make a change or make a purchase. I get a little giddy when I see a magazine at Borders that I have not seen before. I drive 30 miles each way to a Borders because that is the nearest bookstore that stocks Canadian House & Home. Oh I tell people that I am taking my children to Point Defiance zoo (and I do) but the real reason is the Borders that we pass on the way home. I could spend hours in the magazine section alone!

My first memory of magazine reading was when I was 6 years old and I saw my mothers Womans Own magazine sitting by her armchair. I flicked through and it seemed to be a colorful world that was captivating to my young brain. Looking at that publication as I grew older, I thought it trite and dull but I may have come full circle. I am not sure it is still published as I no longer live in the UK but if it is, I may have to find a copy.

I followed the usual path along the magazine highway - Smash Hits, Jackie, Glamour, Cosmo, Vogue and then I got married and a new world opened up to me. The world of making the marital house a home. Home design magazines were my new drug. I love them. Martha always made me feel it was okay to love that domestic side that I did not know existed. She will always have the number one place on my list. Food magazines were quick to follow and now when I add up all that I subscribe to, it is far more than I would care to admit to! I also have several foreign language magazines that I cannot live without and a few subscriptions to British magazines that I simply cannot give up! Help me someone!!

So to all involved in the production of magazines, I say thank you, thank you, thank you. You make it all seem possible and pretty and I love it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home